20 Technical SEO Tips to Boost Google Rankings
If it was easy to figure out how to rank higher on Google, all businesses would have appeared on the first page of the results. But that’s not possible, is it? Every single competitor is aspiring to the same goal. That’s why we’re looking for more tips on how to beat the competition.
Most of the time, SEO tips are focused on content. You’re supposed to target the right keywords, write impressive long-form content, and hope that quality will get your pages high in the results.
Yes; that works!But there’s another aspect to SEO, which website owners often neglect: technicalities. Technical SEO is all about optimizing the website and the server, so you would enable Google’s spiders to see all the right things when they crawl the pages.
We’ll give you a checklist of the technicalities that you need to go through when wondering how to increase SEO ranking.
20 Technical Tips: How to Increase SEO on Google
- Make the Site Faster
- Use lighter image formats
- Use your own content delivery network
- Get rid of unnecessary plugins
- Create caches
- Abandon shared hosting
- Figure Out How Regular Expressions Work
- Improve the Site’s Structure
- Each page should belong to a clear category
- Make sure to link between relevant pages within your site, so Google’s crawlers will see the connection
- Provide Appropriate About and Contact Info
- Create a Mobile-Friendly Site
- Implement Schema
- Remove Duplicate Content
- Google gives you clear instructions on how to consolidate duplicate URLs: you should define a canonical page.
- Your content management system might be publishing multiple versions of a single post. TO prevent that, you should disable Session IDs.
- Help the Crawlers to Understand Your Language
- To improve Google rank, you should use hreflang tags, which identify the relevant language for a particular country. With this, you’ll solve the issue with duplicate content.
- Connect the Site to Google Webmaster Tools
- Don’t Forget Bing Webmaster Tools
- Security Is Essential
- Get Rid of 404 Error Pages
- Google’s search console allows you to detect all 404 pages on your site. All you need to do is delete them, or redirect them to a page that contains more current and relevant info.
- Use the Robots.txt File
- Enable AMP
- Set Up a Google Business Account
- Use Different Links
- Get Rid of All Unnecessary Code
- Make Social Media Sharing Easy
- Improve the Page Layout
- Add more visuals if you haven’t introduced enough of them
- If there are unnecessary visuals, remove them… it’s all about the balance
- Make sure there’s enough white space
- Make the paragraphs shorter
- Don’t Forget the Header Tags
Get to Work!
There’s a lot to do!
When it comes to improving your site’s Google ranking, hard work is always involved.
We just listed the most important technical SEO improvements that you should make. Each point needs a detailed how-to post on its own. Single out the things that you haven’t done, and start focusing on them, one step at a time.